I was excited when I got an email from Cassidy at Bob’s Red Mill asking me if I’d be interested in writing a post featuring one of their soup mixes a few months ago. I’ve used Bob’s product for years. When Sophie was 4, I put her on a gluten-free, cow-free diet. Bob’s was one of the only companies that made gluten-free baking mixes so my poor kid could have an occasional treat. In recent years we had slacked off a bit.*
Cassidy gave me a choice of mixes, and I jumped on the Black Bean Soup Mix. I love black beans, on top of brown rice, in soup, or wrapped in a burrito. I received two large, 26 ounce packages of Bob’s Bountiful Black Bean Soup Mix, which is a blend of black beans, black-eyed peas, pearl barley* and navy beans. Sure, I could have made Black Bean Soup, but that wouldn’t have been a challenge. I made a Chipotle Chicken Bowl a few months ago, that the family really loved, so I decided on Vegetarian Enchiladas with whole wheat tortillas. I made the black beans in my crock-pot before work and when I got home from work, I used 2 cups of drained black beans for my enchiladas and saved the rest for Black Bean Soup, which gave me two meals! Spencer liked them so much, he asked for them again the following week!
Crockpot Black Beans
7 cups of water or broth
2 cups of Bountiful Black Bean Soup Mix
1 medium onion, diced
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove, crushed
- Place all ingredients in a crockpot. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until tender.
- Season with salt and pepper after beans have finished cooking. Salting at the beginning will make beans tough.
Chipotle Black Bean And Fire Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas
2 cups cooked, black beans, drained.
1 onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground oregano
1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers, chopped. (These can be purchased in a jar if you would like to save time)
1 1/2 cups fire roasted frozen corn (Trader Joe’s)
1 4 ounce can fire roasted diced green chiles
1 28 ounce can Green enchilada sauce
12 whole wheat tortillas
3 1/2 cups grated cheese, Mexican blend, Jack, Mozzarella
- Pre-heat oven to 350*.
- Heat olive oil over a medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, Chipotle powder, oregano and cumin cook 2 minutes.
- Add bean, corn, peppers and chiles and cook just until heated. Remove from heat.
- Place about 1/3 cup of filling along the middle of each tortilla. Top with 4 tablespoons shredded cheese, roll. Lay each enchilada, seam side down, in a 13″ X 9″ baking dish.
- Continue until all tortillas or filling is used up. (Makes about 10-12 depending on the size of the tortilla and amount of filling used.)
- Pour green enchilada sauce over the enchiladas, covering them. Top with remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 350* for 30 to 40 minutes until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and let sit, covered for 10 minutes for easier cutting.
Serving 2 enchiladas, serves 4-6
*Since creating this recipe and post during the summer, with whole wheat tortillas and the Bountiful Black Bean soup mix, we are a wheat-free household. To make this completely gluten free, substitute corn tortillas and use black beans without barley, which contains gluten.