Some dishes are so darn simple, I sometimes can’t believe they aren’t more popular. This Smoked Trout Mousse is one of those dishes. It’s a classic British starter, that’s not much more than butter and a bit of cream.
Although it’s generally served with water biscuits or cream crackers,
- 8 ounces smoked trout, skinned and boned
- 5 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 3 Tablespoons whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Kosher salt and white pepper to taste
- Fresh chives, finely chopped
- Fresh dill, finely chopped
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse trout for 3-5 seconds
- Add butter and pulse an additional 3-5 seconds.
- Add cream and seasonings and pulse until mousse is blended, but not completely smooth, about 10 to 20 seconds.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with lemon juice, salt and white pepper.
- Garnish with fresh chives or dill.