Vegetable enchiladas, full with black beans and fire roasted vegetables and Chipotle seasoning. The perfectly easy comfort food dinner! This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. All thoughts are my own.
I’ve used Bob’s product for years, but until recently, had never tried the Black Bean Soup Mix. I love black beans – on top of brown rice, in soup, or wrapped in a burrito. I received two large, 26 ounce packages of Bob’s Bountiful Black Bean Soup Mix, which is a blend of black beans, black-eyed peas, pearl barley* and navy beans.
Sure, I could have made Black Bean Soup, but that wouldn’t have been a challenge. I made a Chipotle Chicken Bowl a few months ago, that the family really loved, so I decided on Vegetarian Enchiladas with whole wheat tortillas. I made the black beans in my crock-pot before work and when I got home from work, I used 2 cups of drained black beans for my enchiladas, saving the rest for Black Bean Soup, which gave me two meals!
Spencer liked the vegetable enchiladas so much, he asked for them again the following week!
Here’s the Crock Pot black beans recipe. The recipe for the enchiladas is below.
- 7 cups of water or broth
- 2 cups of Bountiful Black Bean Soup Mix or dried black beans
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- Place all ingredients in a crockpot. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until tender.
- Season with salt and pepper after beans have finished cooking. Salting at the beginning will make beans tough.
Let me know what you think of the vegetable enchiladas recipe!
- Chipotle Black Bean And Fire Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas
- 2 cups cooked black beans, drained.
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers chopped. (These can be purchased in a jar if you would like to save time)
- 1 1/2 cups fire roasted frozen corn Trader Joe's
- 4 ounce can fire roasted diced green chiles
- 28 ounce can Green enchilada sauce
- 12 whole wheat tortillas
- 3 1/2 cups grated cheese Mexican blend, Jack, Mozzarella
- Pre-heat oven to 350*.
- Heat olive oil over a medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, Chipotle powder, oregano and cumin cook 2 minutes.
- Add bean, corn, peppers and chiles and cook just until heated. Remove from heat.
- Place about 1/3 cup of filling along the middle of each tortilla. Top with 4 tablespoons shredded cheese, roll. Lay each enchilada, seam side down, in a 13" X 9" baking dish.
- Continue until all tortillas or filling is used up. (Makes about 10-12 depending on the size of the tortilla and amount of filling used.)
- Pour green enchilada sauce over the enchiladas, covering them. Top with remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 350* for 30 to 40 minutes until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and let sit, covered for 10 minutes for easier cutting.