Chipotle flavor shines in this easy dinner recipe! Make it with seasoned chicken, beef, pork, or completely meatless – the choice is yours!
I feel most relaxed when I’m just throwing something together. It’s just like the “old days”, pre-blog, when I didn’t measure or write down what I was doing. This is one of those recipes. Spencer brought home some lunch from Chipotle a week or two ago.
Chipotle is a chain of Cal-Mex fast food restaurants that’s suppose to be healthier. But when I looked at what they brought me, I said, “Uh, it’s just chicken, beans, corn and veg all mixed up”. So one day last week when we came back from the pool around 6 and I hadn’t really thought about what I was going to make for dinner, I came up with this dish. It’s a fine use of leftovers. I had left over chicken and chile lime corn on the cob, and I opened up a few cans.
While I was throwing it together, I started some brown rice and 40 minutes later, we were ready to eat. I certainly had no intention of blogging this thrown together meal, but when the family tasted it and really liked it, I set aside a bowl to snap for the next day. I’ve been drilling the kids on what kinds of things they’d like to have for lunches for school this year, and both girls decided this would be something that could easily fill a burrito or just be eaten out of a thermos.
I hope you enjoy these Chipotle chicken bowls, too!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons (or more) chipotle chili powder
- leftover cooked chicken, diced or shredded.(or leave it out and it's a vegetarian meal)
- 2 cups roasted corn. If you don't have leftover corn, just use frozen.
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 14 ounce can black beans, drained
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté for a couple of minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic, cumin and chili powder and sauté another minute
- Add beans, corn, tomatoes and chicken cook over medium heat until hot.
- Serve over brown or white rice with cilantro, onions, cheese and sour cream.