This chocolate cheesecake brownies recipe is the best of two treats, combined into one delicious home made dessert. Creamy cheesecake batter is swirled through espresso-spiked dark chocolate brownies.
This recipe for chocolate cheesecake brownies comes straight out of the King Arthur Flour catalog. I tore the recipe from the catalog as soon as I realized that it called for cream cheese, because I’m such a sucker for it. Adding a swirl of creamy cheesecake batter to brownies is just about as good as brownies get. These were a huge hit with the family! I was saving them for Sophie’s water polo party, but I noticed that a few disappeared between baking, sampling, shooting photos, and the party.
Espresso powder gives a nice kick to the rich chocolate brownie batter. I keep espresso powder on hand for baking, as it adds a lovely under note to anything chocolaty. Home made baked goods are infinitely better tasting than those from a boxed mix, and really not much more difficult to make. As always, the quality of ingredients is reflected in the final product. Whether it is dark or bittersweet, use the best quality chocolate that is affordable.
Regarding butter: Whether it is for cooking or baking, always use unsalted butter. Salted butter negatively affects the taste of baked goods.
Here’s the chocolate cheesecake brownies recipe. Enjoy!
- Brownie Batter
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups 15 3/4 ounces sugar
- 1 1/4 cups 3 3/4 ounces baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup 4 1/4 ounces all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 cups 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- Cream Cheese Batter
- 2 8 ounce packages cream cheese at room temperature
- 3/4 cup 5 1/4 ounces sugar
- 1/2 cup 2 ounces all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup 2 ounces heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9"x13" baking pan.
- To make the brownie batter:
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter then stir in the sugar, cooking until the mixture is well combined and shiny.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso powder, and vanilla.
- Whisk in eggs, then flour, stirring until smooth.
- To make the cream cheese batter:
- Beat the cream cheese until no lumps remain. Mix in the sugar and flour, then the vanilla, cream and eggs.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the brownie batter. Spoon half the batter in to the pan, then top with all the cream cheese batter. Dollop the remaining brownie batter onto the cream cheese, swirling the two together.
- Bake the brownies fro 35 to 45 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center come out clean and the edges are set.