Oven fried chicken is a healthy twist on a southern comfort food dish. Rather than deep frying the chicken in oil, the chicken is breaded in seasoned panko bread crumbs and “fried” in the oven. It is every bit as delicious, without the excess fat and calories of the deep fried version.
Probably my favorite finger food is fried chicken. If you’re like me though, the best bit is the skin! I could eat all the skin and leave the chicken, but that wouldn’t be very healthy, nor very good for the waistline. 18 years ago, Oprah’s personal chef, Rosie Daley, wrote a cookbook of all of Oprah’s favorite foods.
This oven fried chicken recipe is one of my favorites. I’ve changed the recipe a bit, substituting Japanese Panko breadcrumbs for the Italian bread crumbs, and changing the spices around a bit. I use boneless, skinless chicken pieces, but I think using bone-in chicken helps it to feel more like real fried chicken.
Enjoy this oven fried chicken recipe!
Oven Fried Chicken
- 6 drumsticks skin removed
- 6 breasts skin removed (I substitute thighs, since everyone prefers them to breasts)
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Lawery's Season salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400* F.
- I find an easy way to remove the slippery skin from the chicken is the use a paper towel to pull it off.
- Coat a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Put the chicken in a large bowl with ice water.
- Mix breading ingredients together.
- Transfer chicken from ice water to yogurt to breading to coat.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Spray pieces with vegetable oil or cooking spray.
- Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven and bake for 1 hour, turning pieces every 20 minutes to allow for even browning.
You might also like…
The best Potato Salad recipe