Meatloaf, as long as it is made properly and not over cooked, is the quintessential comfort food. This meat loaf recipe is really good because it’s made using ground turkey, chopped vegetables, a box of stuffing mix, and a secret ingredient!
I do not recall my mom ever making meatloaf when I was growing up. She must have made it, but I either didn’t eat it or the memory is lost from my mind, because I really hate meatloaf. OK, that’s a strong word. I don’t like it at all, and I know why, too. It’s the ketchup. I dislike ketchup. (Sorry Heinz!)
I think ketchup is an insult to the palate. I keep ketchup in the house, using it on burgers, hot dogs and fries. Not mine, yours. But on anything else, ugh. AND, I’d probably keel over if you put ketchup on my delicious, creamy, soft scrambled eggs. But I digress.
It seems like most meatloaf is made with some form of tomato sauce or ketchup “topping” before it’s baked.
So 20+ years ago, when my mom made this meat loaf recipe, I refused to try it. “I don’t like meat loaf mom!” Of course, being my mom, she wouldn’t take no for an answer. Guess what? I liked it. No, I loved it! Here’s why…NO KETCHUP! So if you like ketchup-y meatloaf, this is probably not the recipe for you. But if you’ve never acquired a taste for meatloaf, give this a try.
Of course, I used ground turkey, because I can do just about anything with a pound of ground turkey. I hadn’t made this for several years, so Sophie had never tried it. “I don’t like meatloaf”, She said. Of course me being me, I wouldn’t take no for an answer. She loved it. I made a double batch, because I knew everyone would want more. Emma had it for a ‘snack’ the following day and then again for dinner that night.
This meatloaf is light and fluffy due to the “secret” ingredient, club soda.
- 2 - 20 ounce packages of ground turkey
- 1-2 onions chopped
- 2 stalks of celery sliced
- 1 package of turkey flavored Stove-Top stuffing mix OK, I know...but try it
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup of plain club soda
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onion and celery in a little olive oil until soft.
- In a large bowl mix eggs, stuffing mix and club soda together with your hands.
- Add ground turkey, sauteed vegetables and combine.
- To check the seasoning, I usually fry up a little bit, to make sure it's seasoned properly.
- Fill two greased loaf pans with meatloaf, do not pat down.
- Bake at 350* F. for about an hour. Let rest for about 15 minutes.