Thai rice noodle salad is a quick and easy weeknight dinner, full of Asian flavor! Tender chicken, seasoned vegetables, and crunchy peanuts, on a mountain of translucent rice noodles. The perfect light and healthy summer salad!
I feel like I’m on a chicken roll. Maybe because chicken just feels lighter in the summer? I’m always searching for no-cook, or hardly-any-cooking, dishes during the summer. Thai food always feels light and “clean” during the summer, when I’m feeling a bit sluggish.
I came across this recipe in the newspaper, about 10 years ago. It’s taken me this long to finally make it. It is fast, holds up well in the fridge for a couple of days, and is a perfect light meal on a hot summer night. Of course I had to add more vegetables. The cooking directions for the noodles yielded a firmer textured noodle, so I increased the cooking time. Add different veggies if you choose…snow peas, thinly sliced celery or water chestnuts.
Have fun with it, creating a uniquely you Thai rice noodle salad for dinner!
Thai Rice Noodle Salad
- 1 8 ounce package thin rice noodles
- 5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 Thai chile finely minced
- 4 cooked boneless chicken breasts, shredded (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 bunch green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts coarsely chopped
- Additional peanuts basil leaves and bean sprouts for garnish
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. turn the heat off and add the noodles. Let them soak until softened, 1-3 minutes. Drain the noodles and rinse them with cold water. Place them in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, chile and garlic in a small bowl.
- Add the chicken to the noodles, along with the carrots, bean sprouts, onions, cilantro, mint, basil and peanuts. Add the dressing and toss well.
- Garnish with extra peanuts, bean sprouts, and basil leaves if desired.
Leave a Reply