Salmon In Basil Cream Sauce
The sauce will make enough of for 4-6 salmon filets or chicken breasts. Recipe from Bon Appetit, circa 1992, originally from the Park Hotel Kenmare, in County Kerry. Although the sauce doesn't have a "fishy" taste, you could substitute chicken broth with fairly similar results if you don't have fish stock on hand.
Servings: 4 -6
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 6 Tablespoons fresh basil minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups fish stock or 1 1/3 cups bottled clam juice and 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Melt butter in a heavy medium skillet over medium heat. (Using a sauce pan will take longer to reduce.)
Add basil and stir until wilted, about 1 minute.
Add wine, increase heat and boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. (see cooking notes)
Add stock and boil 3 minutes.
Add cream, white and black pepper and salt.
Boil until sauce is reduced to 3/4, about 8-10 minutes.