Healthy Broccoli Soup
This quick, easy and healthier "cream" of broccoli soup uses no dairy at all. Use vegetable broth and olive oil for the vegan version, or add a handful of cheese at the end for Broccoli Cheese. Whole30 compliant.
Servings: 5 cups
- 1 medium onion chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 head of broccoli chopped, including stems, about 5 cups
- 1 clove of garlic choppped
- 1 quart chicken broth or vegetable broth for vegan/vegetarian
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Heat olive oil over a medium heat until oil shimmers.
Add onions and sauté 2 to 3 minutes until onions are translucent.
Add garlic, broccoli and broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes or until broccoli is fork tender.
Remove from heat and puree soup in batches using an immersion blender or blender. Use caution when pureeing hot soup in a blender. Remember to cover the lid with a dish cloth and hold lid down to prevent burns.
Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
If desired, add a swirl of cream, or sharp cheese before serving. (Not Whole30 or vegan)