Eton Mess with Strawberry Meringues
A traditional British "pudding" or dessert made of meringues, whipped cream and berries. Rose water and rose petals are optional. If you don't have a vanilla bean, substitute 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
Servings: 6 -8
- One batch meringues see recipe below
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 vanilla bean split and seeds scraped (or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 1 teaspoon rose water optional
- 1/4 cup icing sugar sifted (powdered sugar)
- 2 cups strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons freeze-dried strawberries for garnish optional
- 1 Tablespoon rose petals chopped for garnish (optional)
- Mint leaves for garnish
In a large bowl, whisk the cream until thickened.
In a separate bowl, whisk the yogurt until smooth, then fold through the whipped cream, vanilla bean seeds (or extract), rose water (optional) and icing (powdered sugar).
Roughly chop the strawberries, reserving a few for garnish.
To assemble, roughly break up the meringues. Begin by layering the cream, berries, and meringue in bowls or glasses. Repeat the layering, then garnish with strawberries, freeze-dried berries (if using) and rose petals (if using), and mint.