Ipswich Almond Pudding
An old traditional British "pudding" (dessert), slightly adapted from Favorite Pudding Recipes Cookbook (Traditional Ways to a Man's Heart) (serves 6 to 8)
- 14 oz whole milk
- 6 oz whipping cream preferably organic
- 2 oz 1/2 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 3 oz 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp sugar
- 6 oz 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 tsp orange flower water or rose water use almond or vanilla extract if you like
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 tbsp butter cut into little pieces
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Put the milk and cream in a small saucepan and heat gently. Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl, then pour the warm milk over the top and leave to soak for five minutes.
Add the sugar, ground almonds, flavored water or extract and allow to stand for another 10 minutes.
Stir in the beaten eggs thoroughly, then pour the mixture into a large pie dish and dot the surface with the pieces of butter.
Place the pie dish into a roasting tin and pour boiling water until it comes about a quarter of the way up the dish. Carefully place into the preheated oven and bake for about half an hour.
Serve with cream while still warm.