Wild Mushroom Soup
Chef Bernard's wild mushroom soup. Use a combination of wild and button mushrooms if desired. For vegan, substitute butter for olive oil, vegetable broth for chicken broth, and omit cream. The heavy cream adds richness, but can surely be omitted.
Servings: 4 cups
- 2 1/2 cups wild mushrooms shitake, chanterelle, or porcini, or a combination, coarsely chopped.
- 4 tablespoons butter divided.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots about 2 large.
- 3-4 cups chicken or vegetable stock.
- 2 Tablespoons or more heavy cream.
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
- Additional sliced and sautéed mushrooms and finely chopped chives, if desired.
In a large pot over a medium heat, add 2 tablespoons butter and shallots. Sauté until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
Stir in mushrooms, and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Add 3 cups stock and continue to cook 7-10 minutes until mushrooms are cooked through.
Puree soup in a blender in batches until smooth, with specks of mushrooms.
Return to saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and whisk in 2 tablespoons butter and cream. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper.
Add additional stock if necessary.