Smoked Trout Mousse
Smoked trout mousse is a traditional British starter or appetizer. Smoked trout can be purchased in most major markets. Smoked mackerel or any smoked fish would be delicious as well.
- 8 ounces smoked trout skinned and boned (or smoked mackerel)
- 6 ounces unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoon horseradish prepared, not creamed
- 3 Tablespoons whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Kosher salt and white pepper to taste
- Fresh chives finely chopped, (optional)
- Fresh dill finely chopped (optional)
In the bowl of a food processor, pulse trout for 10-15 seconds
Add butter and pulse an additional 5-10 seconds.
Add cream, horseradish, lemon juice and seasonings and pulse until mousse is blended, but not completely smooth, about 10 to 20 seconds.
Taste and adjust seasonings with additional lemon juice, salt and white pepper as needed.
Garnish with fresh chives or dill.