Peruvian Garlic-Lime Chicken
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated. Original recipe called for roasting a whole chicken on a vertical roaster or beer can. This adaptation is for chicken pieces.
Servings: 5 servings
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves lightly packed
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 6 garlic cloves peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 limes, finely grated zest and juice, about 1/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon habanero chile minced. (or 2-3 teaspoons serrano, minced).
Process all ingredients except for the chicken in a blender or food processor until a smooth paste forms, 10 to 20 seconds. Using fingers loosen skin over chicken pieces. Rub half of the paste beneath skin of chicken. Spread entire exterior surface of chicken with remaining paste. Place chicken in a gallon-size zipper bag and refrigerate at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
Baking the Peruvian Chicken
Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 325 degrees F. Place chicken pieces on a rack on a baking pan or sheet. Roast until skin just begins to turn golden and instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of the breast registers 140 degrees F. About 35 to 45 minutes. Remove chicken and pan from oven and increase oven temperature to 500 degrees F.
When oven is heated to 500 degrees F. Roast chicken pieces until entire skin is browned and crisp and thermometer registers 160 degrees F. inserted into the breast and 175 degrees F. in the thickest part of the thigh, about 15 minutes
Serve with spicy mayonnaise.
- If using a whole chicken you can roast on a spit or vertical roaster.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 494kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 18g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 139mg | Sodium: 2925mg | Potassium: 461mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 0.4g | Vitamin A: 800IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 3mg