Creamy Shrimp Curry (korma)
Shrimp Korma from The Bengali Five Spice Chronicals, by Rinku Bhattacharya.Try to get large shrimp, jumbo or colossal. As always, it is better to try to buy wild-caught varieties of fish and seafood.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger paste I used jarred
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste ditto
- 2 green chilies I used one small serrano...it wasn't too hot at all.
- 1 or 2 green cardamom pods I used 2
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Heat the oil in a wok or skillet, add the onions and cook on medium-low heat for at least 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. (The objective is to let these sweat and turn into a pale golden saucy state.) Add the ginger paste, garlic paste, and chilies and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the mixture is cooked and aromatic.
Increase the heat to medium and add the cardamom pods, sour cream, shrimp, turmeric, and salt and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the mixture begins to bubble. Add 1/2 cup water and cook for 6 minutes until the mixture is nice and thick and the shrimp are cooked through, Stir in the cilantro. Serve with white rice.