English Christmas Trifle
Poached Pear and Raspberry Trifle, adapted from Emeril Lagasse. Requires almond pound cake, (or store-bought), homemade Creme Anglaise, (or Bird's custard), poached pears, fresh raspberries and homemade whipped cream.
- 3 cups Creme Anglaise (or prepared Bird's custard)
- 1 Prepared pound cake about 12 ounces, crusts trimmed
- 1/3 cup Marsala wine, or sherry
- 1/3 cup Amaretto
- 4 pears poached, and sliced into wedges.
- 4 cups fresh or frozen and thawed raspberries
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Fresh raspberries and mint leaves for decoration
In a medium bowl, 2 cups cream with the confectioner's sugar until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
In a separate mixing bowl toss the berries with 2 tablespoons Marsala, stirring to bruise the berries slightly.
To assemble the trifle cut the cake into 1/2-inch thick slices to fit tightly into the bottom of a trifle bowl (or a 1 1/2-quart decorative glass bowl),
Drizzle or sprinkle the cake layer with Marsala and Amaretto. Layer 1/3 of the pears and raspberries over the top of the cake, followed by 1/3 of the Creme Anglaise or custard. Repeat the process, layering the remaining ingredients.