Szechuan Beef with Asparagus
Adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil divided
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chile paste use less if you don't like spicy
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil divided
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon peeled fresh ginger minced
- 16 ounces 1 lb. flank steak, sliced thinly against the grain
- 1 bunch of asparagus ends trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- medium onion sliced
- large red bell pepper sliced
- 3-4 green onions sliced on the diagonal
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
Combine 2 teaspoons of sesame oil and next 6 ingredients (through salt) in a small bowl. Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and 1 tablespoon canola oil. Add beef and stir-fry 2 minutes. Remove beef from the pan.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil add onions, asparagus, bell peppers ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Add broth mixture and cook another minute or until thick. Return beef to the pan, cooking until beef is done and veggies are crisp-tender. Toss in sliced green onions and peanuts.
Serve over rice.