Cottage or Shepherd's Pie
A classic British dish! Use ground beef for Cottage pie and ground lamb for Shepherd's pie. Use a sharp cheddar, preferably English if you can.
- 3 Tablespoons oil use a neutral oil or mild olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef or ground lamb
- 2 cups carrots and peas Frozen or fresh
- 8 ounces Mushrooms sliced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 potatoes boiled and mashed
- 10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese grated (divided)
In a medium sized skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add onions and cook 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, ground lamb or beef, stirring to break it up about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, thyme and Worcestershire sauce. Saute until meat is no longer pink.
Mix in carrots and peas.
Season to taste with salt and pepper
Put meat mixure into a casserole dish. (You can also use a souffle dish or oval baking dish...something between 8"x8" and 13"x9"). Top with 1/2 cup cheddar.
Spread or pipe mashed potatoes and top with remaining grated cheese.
Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 466kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 103mg | Sodium: 418mg | Potassium: 803mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 4905IU | Vitamin C: 15.8mg | Calcium: 395mg | Iron: 5mg