Butternut Squash Lasagna with Sage
Tender lasagna noodles, cooked in a savory, creamy butternut squash sauce with sage and Italian cheeses.
Butternut squash filling
- 3 1/2 pounds butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth (use an additional 1/2 cup if using no-cook noodles)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 loosely packed fresh sage leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 pound whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs yolks
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese cut into chunks (or shredded)
- 1 teaspoon Freshly grated nutmeg... I used ground
- fresh lasagna noodles or no-boil (see note above about stock)
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese grated
Preparing the squash
Preheat oven to 425* F. Toss squash, 2 Tablespoons oil, and 1 teaspoon salt on a baking sheet. Season with pepper. Bake until light gold and tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool.
Melt butter in a small saute pan over medium-high heat. As soon as it starts to sizzle, add sage and cook until light gold and slightly crisp at edges, 3 to 4 minutes.
Place squash in a medium bowl and mash 1/2 with the back of a wooden spoon. (I use my hands to do this) Leave the other 1/2 of the squash in small chunks. Gently stir in sage-butter mixture and chicken or vegetable broth. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper.
Reduce oven temperature to 375* F. Combine ricotta, cream, yolks, mozzarella in a medium bowl. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper and pinch of nutmeg.
Spread 3/4 cup of ricotta mixture in a 9 cup baking dish. Top with a layer of noodles. Spread 1/2 of the butternut squash mixture over the noodles. Top with a layer of noodles. Spread 1 cup of ricotta mixture over noodles. Repeat layering once more, (noodles, squash, noodles, ricotta) Sprinkle Parmesan over ricotta mixture.
Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet and cover with foil. Bake until cheese is golden and bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- To save time, use pre-cubed butternut squash and pre-shredded mozzarella cheese.
- To make this completely vegetarian, substitute the chicken broth for vegetable stock.
- In place of fresh noodles, you can substitute no-boil noodles. If using no-boil noodles, increase chicken or vegetable stock by 1/2 cup.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 302kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 402mg | Potassium: 559mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 14680IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 361mg | Iron: 1mg