Guinness Beef Stew
Guinness Beef Stew, adapted from Cooking Light. If using the slow-cooker, brown meat on the stove-top first. While Guinness is not technically a gluten free beer, so if you're following a strict gluten free diet, you will need to substitute a dark, gluten free beer.
Servings: 6 people
- 5 Tablespoons Olive oil divided
- 1 large onion chopped, (about 2 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 2 1/2 lbs. beef cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups Guinness Stout
- 1 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups Yukon gold potatoes cubed or halved, about 12 ounces
- 2 cups Carrots cut in 1" pieces, about 12 ounces
- 1 Turnip peeled cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 Tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
- fresh chopped parsley
Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large Dutch oven over a medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and saute for 5 minutes or until translucent. Remove onions from pan. Season beef chunks with salt and pepper.
Heat an 2 additional tablespoons of olive oil to Dutch oven. Working in batches, brown beef 6-7 pieces at a time. Do not crowd the beef or it won't brown. Transfer browned beef to a separate dish with the onions.
Add beer to pot and bring to a boil, scraping or "deglazing" the pan to loosen all the browned bits of flour.
Simmer until the beer is reduced by about 1/2, about 5 minutes.
Add onions, browned beef, tomato paste, broth, worcestershire sauce and bay leaf; and simmer, covered for 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Uncover and stir in potatoes, turnips and carrots.
Simmer uncovered, for another 1 hour, or until meat and vegetables are tender.
Stir in mustard and peas the last 10 minutes of cooking
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 710kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 50g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 134mg | Sodium: 554mg | Potassium: 1168mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 7326IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 7mg