Adapted from Alton Brown
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes peeled, seeded and chopped, about 5-6 medium
- 1 cup cucumber peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper chopped (red and/or yellow)
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1 small jalapeno seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoons toasted ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves cut chiffonade
- Additional minced vegetables for garnish
Fill a 6 quart pot halfway with water and bring to a boil.
Make an x with a paring knife on the bottom of each tomato. Drop tomatoes into boiling water for 15 seconds, remove and transfer to a bowl of ice water.
Remove, pat dry and peel. Seed tomatoes into a sieve, catching juices, discarding seeds.
Reserve juice, adding additional water to make 1 cup.
Place all remaining ingredients (except for basil) in a large bowl and mix.
Transfer 1 1/2 cups of the mixture to a blender or food processor and puree (or pulse) for 15 to 20 seconds on high speed. Return the pureed mixture to the bowl and stir.Adjust seasonings. Cover and chill for 2 hours or overnight. Serve with chiffonade of basil and additional mince vegetables.
Don't forget to peel the tomatoes.
Red or yellow bell peppers can be used.
Chill before serving.
Serve with extra chopped cucumbers or diced chiles if desired.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 402mg | Potassium: 458mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1731IU | Vitamin C: 45mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg