Middle Eastern Burger
Middle Eastern Turkey Burger, with bulgur wheat, tzatzki and onions
- 1 lb. ground turkey or lamb
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 med. onion diced
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts toasted
- 11/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- a couple of pinches of nutmeg
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1-2 tsp. salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil divided.
- Makes about 4 6 oz. burgers or 5 5 oz. burgers
Saute the onions in 1 tablespoon olive oil until translucent, but not brown.
Soak the bulghur in the hot water for about 10 min. Squeeze out the excess water.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, including 1 tablespoon olive oil and mix with your hands, kneading and mixing the meat.
Saute a small portion to test for seasoning. Adjust if necessary
Form into patties and grill, turning once.
Serve inside a pita with onions, lettuce and tzatzki sauce.