Quick Iced Borscht from The New York Times Cookbook, by Craig Claiborne
- 1 cup cooked or roasted beets sliced. About 3 large.
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 medium boiled potato
- 8 ounces chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cracked ice
- Additional sour cream half and half or broth to thin soup if necessary.
- Garnish with fresh chopped dill chives and a swirl of cream.
Put the beet, onions, lemon juice and potato into a food processor or blender and coarsely chop.
With the motor running, add the chicken stock and sour cream.
Add the ice and blend until smooth. Add additional sour cream, half and half or broth to thin if necessary.
Season to taste with salt and fresh black pepper.
Serve in chilled bowls or goblets, garnish with cream or sour cream.