Mushroom spread is a creamy holiday dip recipe, made with earthy mushrooms, cream cheese, and spices. Don’t let the gray color keep you from the great taste!
Poor gray! It has been given such a bad rap. It connotes gloom, sadness and negativity…a dreary, gray day or the “gray area”. Yet, I love the peacefulness of gray days, and I think gray is my favorite of all the “non-colors”. Not as harsh and heavy as black, not as light and airy as white, but with more substance and character. Gray is quiet. Gray is calm. I am neither, so I need gray, possibly even crave it. I used to be a very black and white person.
I think all youth goes through that black and white period. I see my younger self in my teenager now. And as I’ve aged, I realize that sometimes gray is OK. It doesn’t mean non-committal or middle of the road. For me, it means different ways of seeing something or someone. There are many shades of gray.
Gray can be sharp and cool, like silver or steel or pewter.
Or warm and soft, like taupe, smoke, or mushrooms.
I thought about my mom’s mushroom spread for a long time, knowing it would be a tough one to present in photos.
Mostly because it’s grayish and people don’t, as a rule, like to eat gray food. But this mushroom spread is really delicious and super easy to make.
Sauté mushrooms in some butter, add a clove or two of garlic, some fresh thyme, salt and pepper, then blend the mixture in a food processor. That’s it. It’s also vegetarian and gluten free, (as long as you don’t serve it with crackers). Entertaining season is upon us, and this is an easy addition to a hors d’oeuvres buffet.
Enjoy the delicious mushroom spread recipe.
Some of the items used in this post are available here at no additional cost.
- 8 oz. block of cream cheese softened
- 8 oz. mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme about 1/2 teaspoon
- Kosher and white pepper to taste
- Heat butter over a medium heat. Sauté mushrooms in butter until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and thyme and cook another minute or two.
- Cool a few minutes and then blend mushrooms and cream cheese together in food processor.
- Season with kosher salt and pepper. Chill…or not.
- Serve with water crackers