Cold cucumber soup is a refreshing and flavorful soup, perfect to serve as an appetizer, side dish, or for a light, healthy main dish.
This Cold Cucumber Soup was one of my dad’s favorite summertime soups. He’d request it for lunch when he’d stop by my house in during the summer. I taught him how to make it, so he could add it to his very limited repertoire of recipes, all super easy and healthy. Throw everything in the blender and this simple, tasty soup is ready in just minutes. I also like that it is no-cook. Use a full-fat Greek yogurt for a great low-carb and keto friendly appetizer. Each 1/2 cup serving has only 5 carbs. (This post was originally published on July 28th, 2014 and has been updated to contain nutritional information. This post contains affiliate links)
This is also the perfect recipe if you’ve got a bumper crop of cucumbers! Light and refreshing, it’s the perfect summertime sip, especially on a sultry day.
This is a super easy recipe!
To prepare, peel and slice the cucumbers. Next, “sweat” the cucumbers, by sprinkling them with salt, to get rid of excess water.While it sounds counter-intuitive, the salt brings some of the moisture to the surface. Then rinse the salt off with water and pat the cucumbers dry. While this step isn’t crucial, especially if you’re going to be eating the soup right away, I think it makes for a thicker and creamier soup. Put everything into a food processor or blender. And puree until smooth. Adjust the seasonings. Since the cucumbers will have salt on them from the sweating process, wait until after blending to check seasonings.
This Cold Cucumber Soup is also vegetarian and gluten-free, making it a nice, healthy lunch or light dinner.
Some of the items used in this post are available at my Amazon store.
Cold Cucumber Soup
- 2 cups Greek yogurt plain, full fat
- 2 cucumbers peeled and sliced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1-3 teaspoons fresh chopped dill
- Kosher salt to taste
- Lay sliced cucumbers on a sheet pan covered with 2 layers of paper towel. Salt cucumbers liberally. Let them "sweat", about 20 minutes, to release moisture.
- In a blender or food processor, add cucumbers, yogurt, shallot, garlic, fresh dill, lime juice and ground cumin.
- Puree until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Check seasoning and add salt if necessary.
- Chill at least an hour before serving.
- Makes 3 cups
More delicious chilled soup recipes to try: