Sun-dried tomato and pistachio pesto is a delicious, easy to make spread. Delicious as a sandwich condiment or to create appetizers like bruschetta.
My mom and I went to the Pasadena Showcase House a few weeks ago. One of the booths in the bazaar had the most delicious Sun-Dried Tomato and Pistachio Pesto. Though it was wonderful, I wasn’t prepared to spend $12 on a 6 ounce container that would be used for one meal. How hard could it be to make myself? Sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, basil, cheese…I had it covered.
The taste testing lasted for two consecutive weekends. My tasters had the pesto on top of crackers, on bruschetta with goat cheese, straight out of the bowl, and finally, in a cold pasta salad that made it into school lunches for a couple of days.
Making the sun-dried tomato and pistachio pesto is easy!
I used oil packed sun-dried tomatoes. Blanching the basil in rapidly boiling water for just a few seconds will keep it bright green and fresh looking. Have a bowl of ice water close to the stove and use a slotted spoon to remove the leaves from the boiling water. This pesto would be delicious on a grilled chicken or fish as well. That’s on next week’s menu!
- 1/2 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup loosely packed blanched basil leaves
- 1/3 cup toasted pistachios
- 1/3 cup finely grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste.
- Have a bowl of ice water ready to plunge the basil leaves into.
- In a large pot of rapidly boiling salted water, drop basil leaves to blanch, 15 seconds. Immediately remove the basil leaves with a slotted spoon and plunge into ice water. Drain and pat leaves dry. Coarsely chop.
- In the bowl of the food processor, add sun-dried tomatoes, pulse to coarsely chop tomatoes. Add chopped basil, minced garlic and toasted pistachios and pulse a few seconds to mix. It should stay coarse, so don't over process.
- Slowly pour olive oil in a steady stream while pulsing a few more seconds.
- Taste and add salt
After eating our fill of Sun-dried Tomato and Pistachio Pesto Bruschetta, I tossed some with pasta and added some fresh tomatoes, baby mozzarella, and some sliced salami for a tasty picnic salad.
- Sun-dried Tomato and Pistachio Pesto
- 1 pound cooked pasta (penne, farfalle, rotoni)
- 1 container baby mozzarella balls halved
- 8 ounces of cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 ounces of salami sliced
- Cook pasta according to directions, drain. Toss with 1 cup of pesto to coat. Cool to room temperature.
- Toss with mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and season to taste with kosher salt and pepper.