This Coconut Ice Cream recipe is easy and delicious with just 4 ingredients! We love ice cream around here. I always have 2 or 3 flavors on hand for “emergencies”.
In the summer I like to pull out my electric ice cream maker and try different flavors. This coconut ice cream is not too sweet and gets lots of coconut flavor from cream of coconut and coconut flavored liqueur.
(This post was originally published on August 6, 2012. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn commission on qualifying purchases)
Ingredients in this easy coconut ice cream recipe
- whole milk
- cream of coconut
- shredded coconut
- coconut flavored liqueur
This is not a traditional custard based ice cream, which means it’s egg-free. Instead of whole milk, heavy cream and eggs, this recipe calls for whole milk, cream of coconut and two tablespoons of coconut flavored rum in addition to finely shredded coconut.
Why add alcohol to ice cream?
Adding a bit of alcohol to ice cream inhibits the freezing process and therefore helps keep it from forming ice crystals. Adding alcohol is, of course optional.
Making the ice cream
If you’re using an electric ice cream maker, make sure to freeze the base the night before. I keep mine in the freezer all the time during the summer. Since the ingredients are not heated, the base can be poured into the ice cream maker and make it in under 30 minutes.
The next key to ice cream making is letting it “cure” overnight. It will come out of the ice cream maker looking like soft-serve yogurt or ice cream. Freezing it overnight will firm it up.
Making ice cream without an ice cream maker
An ice cream maker continually stirs ice cream and whips air into it which means it will be less dense. BUT, you can absolutely make ice cream without an ice cream maker. Here’s how:
- Pour the coconut ice cream mixture into a metal bread pan. The metal will help it freeze more quickly.
- Let the ice cream freeze for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Take it out of the freezer and whip with an electric hand mixer or stir vigorously to beat some air into it.
- Refreeze and repeat the process until the ice cream is creamy, and has the texture of soft-serve ice cream.
- Chill overnight to harden completely.
Coconut Ice Cream
- Whisk the milk into the cream of coconut. Pour into an ice cream freezer*.
- Make according to your ice cream maker's instruction.
- When ice cream is done it will still be quite soft. Fold in coconut Freeze until firm.
Almond Joy Sundae
Our favorite way to eat it is to make an “almond joy” sundae.
Top ice cream with store-bought or homemade Dark Chocolate Fudge Sauce, toasted almonds and more shredded coconut.
Are cream of coconut and coconut cream the same thing?
No. Make sure when you are purchasing the ingredients, you don’t substitute coconut cream for cream of coconut. Cream of coconut has added sugar and coconut cream and coconut milk do not. I use coconut milk in this Tom Ka Gai soup and, coconut cream, which is much thicker in this Chicken Satay Sauce.