If you like Subway sandwiches, you’re going to love this Antipasto Salad! It has all of the flavor of a big Italian sub sandwich, without the heavy bread.
My husband is not really partial to any kind of salad that consists of field greens, which he calls, “weeds“. If he had his way, he’d eat a 1/2 of a head of romaine lettuce with blue cheese dressing and bacon every night. I like all salad greens, but I think that there is the perfect green for each salad. Delicate field greens do best with light dressings and toppings, Chinese Chicken Salad is great with super crunchy cabbage and this Antipasto Salad needs a hearty lettuce like crisp iceberg or romaine, or both! (This post may contain affiliate links)
I don’t eat many sandwiches these days, but when I do, I prefer a big Italian sub with a splash of red wine vinegar and spicy pepperoncini. I wanted a salad that had all the flavors of an Italian sub, without the bread.
I usually figure on about 4-6 ounces of meat and cheese per person, and about twice as much meat as cheese. I use homemade marinated mushrooms, just because they are a family favorite and the kids eat them right out of the container and I can make twice as much for half the cost of store bought. I made the antipasto salad for dinner the other night, when it was particularly warm. Instead of making a classic vinaigrette with a 3 to 1 ratio of oil to vinegar, I used some of the mushroom marinade and added more vinegar for a more tangy dressing.
The antipasto salad served 3 of us for dinner, with enough left over for a couple of lunches the next day.
- 1 head of ice berg lettuce shredded or sliced
- 1 head romaine lettuce shredded or sliced
- 4-6 ounces of Italian deli meats and cheeses such as dry salami, Genoa, sopressata and provolone, sliced thin
- 1 cup marinated mushrooms quartered (reserved 3/4 cup liquid from marinade)
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives sliced
- 1/4 cup peperoncini sliced thin
- 1/4 cup roasted red bell peppers sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 3/4 cup mushroom marinade
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- olive oil to taste if necessary
- Fresh ground black pepper
Slice meats, cheese and veggies. Toss with lettuce. Add dressing just before serving.
Whisk marinade and vinegar in a small bowl, add olive oil to taste if necessary.