Greek Salad with feta and fresh herbs is about as close to a visual color explosion as you can get!
Our pupils dilate when we see someone we love. It’s a physiological, uncontrollable response.
Do we have the same response with food? I think so. We experience food with all of our senses and our eyes give us the first “taste” of the meal to come. When I’m planning my meals, I make an effort to balance my colors. “Eat the color wheel”, nutritionists tell us. Maybe it’s nature’s way of telling us to eat what we should? I had a over-abundance of tomatoes at my house, and this Greek Salad is the perfect way to showcase them. The simple olive oil-lemon juice-garlic trio is used so often in Greek recipes, and this simple dressing really highlights the fresh flavors of all the vegetables. In Greece, this salad is served quite differently. A large slab of feta is layered with tomatoes, peppers and onions, but I prefer to prepare it in large chunks, as it’s easier to serve.
I hope you enjoy this Greek salad recipe!
Greek Salad with Feta and Fresh Herbs
A traditional Greek Salad has large slices of veggies and a slab of feta. I like to keep the vegetables one-bite sized, but crumble the feta. You can also cube firmer feta.
- 4 or 5 tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 or 2 bell peppers chopped
- 2 cucumbers (peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 1/2 purple onion (chopped)
- kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Greek seasoning (Optional:this can be purchased in the spice section of your grocery store)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- Fresh basil (cut chiffonade*)
- In a large serving bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper together.
- Gently toss the vegetables to coat with dressing,
- Add cheese and olives and toss to coat with dressing, check seasoning, adding more olive oil, lemon or salt if necessary. Serve immediately/
Here are some items I used for this recipe. (These are affiliate links which help pay to maintain my website at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!)