This version of Bananas Foster is a tropical twist on the classic New Orleans dessert. Layers of caramelized bananas, shredded toasted coconut, and crunchy macadamia nuts make a delicious sauce for ice cream.
I first tasted this dessert about 30 years ago at a small French restaurant run by a Vietnamese. This unassuming restaurant in a nondescript strip mall had the best French food. But the only dessert I’d ever eat was their version of Bananas Foster.
They call this dessert, “Bananas Caribbean”. It’s very similar to Bananas Foster, with butter and brown sugar caramelized bananas.
The addition of toasted coconut and macadamia nuts gives it a tropical twist. It’s dead easy to make, and is a great dinner party dessert. But don’t wait for a party, because you can have it tonight!
Cooking tips for assembling these nutty coconut banana ice cream sundaes:
Use firm, but ripe, bananas; about 1/2 of a large banana per person.
Sauté the bananas in a little brown sugar and butter.
I always have vanilla bean ice cream on hand for quick, last minute desserts.
Saute bananas in butter, brown sugar and rum. Next, add a bit of rum, and pour the caramelized bananas over vanilla ice cream.
Top the ice cream sundaes with lightly toasted coconut and chopped toasted macadamia nuts.
I hope you enjoy this tropical version of Bananas Foster ice cream sundaes! Here’s the recipe:
Bananas Foster Ice Cream Sundaes
- 1/2 banana ripe, but firm, sliced
- 1.5 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons rum
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened coconut toasted
- 1 Tablespoon macadamia nuts Chopped toasted
- 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a saute pan over a medium heat.
- Add the sliced bananas and cook a couple of minutes until everything is carmelized and bubbly.
- Add the rum and cook another minute or two.
- Spoon over vanilla bean ice cream.
- Top with toasted coconut and chopped toasted macadamia nuts
Taylor Kiser says
Love this dessert twist on a classic! Well done!
Nutmeg Nanny says
What a fun and tropical twist to my typical ice cream sundae.
Looks and sounds deelish! Pinned.
thank you! So easy too!
Oooh, coconut with banana is one of those matches made in foodie heaven! Thanks for the recipe for this tropical treat!
I agree! I don’t make this often enough!
Nancy Baldrige Adams says
A dessert for a king. Especially if your king loves vanilla ice cream. So easy to prepare.
aww! Thank you!