Coconut cupcakes are a beautiful and delicious Easter dessert, and these coconut cupcakes are adorned with toasted coconut bird’s nests, making them perfect for any spring brunch.
We spent Easter with our good friends. We’ve spent Easter with them for more years than I can remember. My friend, Jelayne is an easy hostess.
Simple floral centerpieces in jelly jars, robin’s egg blue plates and lively conversation made the day delightful. For dessert she served Coconut Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting topped with toasted coconut bird’s nests.
This coconut cupcakes recipe, from Ina Garten, is always a hit.
Jelayne let me take a couple of extra home to shoot and post. So for that, I thank her again! Of course, these are delicious any time!
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in 7 ounces of coconut.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each liner to the top with batter.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting and top with remaining coconut.
Here’s the recipe for the cream cheese frosting, to use on the top of your coconut cupcakes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 pound cream cheese at room temperature
- 3/4 pound 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 pounds confectioners' sugar sifted
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on low speed, cream together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla and almond extracts. Add the confectioners' sugar and mix until smooth.
- Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with the remaining coconut.
Looking for more cupcake recipes?