Eggs Florentine is an elegant, yet easy breakfast option, consisting of poached eggs, spinach, and Canadian bacon, drizzled with creamy Hollandaise sauce. Serve it without the muffin for a gluten free and Paleo breakfast.
Week days are so busy during the school year, that the fanciest our eggs get are scrambled, which is usually what we’re doing, scrambling. So when the weekend rolls around, we’re all ready for something a bit fancier
when it comes to eggs, even if it’s just a veggie filled omelet or poached eggs on toast. Eggs Benedict or Huevos Rancheros are usually reserved for even slower or more special weekend. They really don’t have to be though.
Eggs Florentine is just a poached egg on top of an toasted English Muffin with a slice of Canadian bacon, sauteed spinach, and a drizzle of Hollandaise Sauce. The muffin can easily be omitted for a low-carb, Paleo, and gluten-free breakfast.
I make my Hollandaise sauce in the blender, which is fool-proof, as well as faster and easier than the traditional cooking school method. (shhh, don’t tell!) Click here for Blender Hollandaise. I actually prefer Eggs Florentine, just because it’s a good way to get in an extra vegetable at breakfast. Any time you see the word “Florentine” on a menu, it will have spinach in it.
Lawry’s Creamed Spinach would be an awesome bed for these Eggs Florentine, but I would only do it that way if I had some leftover in my fridge. Otherwise, I just sauté or microwave a handful of fresh chopped spinach for just a minute or so, and season it with salt, pepper and a pinch of ground nutmeg. Have all the ingredients ready before you begin poaching the eggs. It’s then just an assembly job!
Enjoy this eggs Florentine recipe!
- 6 poached eggs to your liking
- 3 English muffins split in half and lightly toasted. Keep warm.
- 1 cup of chopped cooked spinach. steam in the micro for just one minute, or sauté 2-3 to wilt
- 6 slices of Canadian bacon or ham cut to fit the muffins
- Hollandaise sauce
- While eggs are poaching, toast bread. Have cooked spinach, warmed bacon or ham and Hollandaise sauce ready.
- Butter each muffin half, top with one slice of bacon, cooked spinach, and a poached egg.
- Spoon warm Hollandaise over egg.