Huevos rancheros egg cups are a delicious, gluten free brunch treat, made with eggs, salsa, cheese and spices, baked inside of corn tortillas.
They’re also a great way to use up leftover salsa. Baking them in a muffin tin enables you to cook a dozen (or more) at once. (This post was originally published on December 30th, 2013, and has been updated to contain nutritional information. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn commission on qualifying purchases.)
Feel free to improvise! I sometimes make them with Hatch chiles. You can jazz them up with hotter sauce, depending on your crowd. I used a medium spicy enchilada sauce for my guests, and serve the extras on the side so everyone can dress them up to suit their taste.
Ingredients for this recipe
- 1 dozen eggs (this recipe make 12 egg cups or enough for 6 people to have 2 each)
- Enchilada sauce
- Grated cheese
Serve sour cream, sliced green onions, extra salsa, chopped Hatch chiles, guacamole, or cilantro on the side.
How to make Huevos Rancheros Egg Cups
Grease a muffin tin. This muffin tin is the perfect size for egg cups. It’s also silicone which means nothing will stick, especially if you add a bit of oil.
Small street taco size corn tortillas, about 4″ in diameter, fit into the muffin tin perfectly.
If you can’t find 4″ tortillas, you can buy regular sized corn tortillas and cut them down to 4″ in diameter. Add enchilada sauce to bottom of each tortilla.
Add grated cheese. Crack one egg into each tortilla. Season with salt and pepper.
Add a little more enchilada sauce.
Bake. Top with sour cream, salsa, green onions and cilantro.
Perfect for a Mexican style brunch!
Using a muffin tin (or two) means you can bake one or two dozen eggs at a time and they’ll all come out of the oven at the same time and hot! What would a Mexican brunch be without Margaritas?
Huevos Rancheros Egg Cups
Condiments to serve on the side
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 bunch cilantro chopped
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup Hatch chiles diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Oil the sides and bottom of a muffin tin.
- Soften 12 small, 4" tortillas in the oven or microwave, until soft and flexible, about 25 seconds for 4 tortillas.
- Press tortillas into each cup.
- Add 1-2 Tablespoons of enchilada sauce into the bottom of each tortilla cup.
- Divide 1/2 cup grated cheese between each tortilla cup.
- Crack an egg on top of sauce and cheese mixture.
- Season with kosher salt and cracked pepper.
- Top each egg with 1-2 teaspoons additional enchilada sauce.
- Bake in the center of the oven for approximately 20 minutes for a soft egg.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, cilantro and green onions on the side.