Mexican egg cups are a delicious, gluten free brunch treat, made with fluffy eggs, salsa, cheese and spices, baked inside of corn tortillas.
These super easy Mexican Egg Cups , a take-off on Huevos Rancheros, are perfect for a brunch. Baking them in a muffin tin enables you to cook a dozen (or more) at once.
You can jazz them up with hotter sauce, depending on your crowd. I used a medium enchilada sauce for my guests.
Small corn tortillas, about 4″ in diameter, fit into the muffin tin perfectly, but a larger tortilla would work as well. This is just a variation on traditional shirred or baked eggs.
I hope you enjoy this Mexican egg cups recipe!
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 small 10 ounce can of enchilada sauce I used medium hot
- Grated cheese any kind, I used sharp cheddar, but Mexican cojita or pepper jack would be great as well.
- Homemade or fresh deli style salsa
- Cilantro chopped
- Green onions sliced
- Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Oil the sides and bottom of a muffin tin.
- Soften 12 small, 4" tortillas in the oven or microwave, until soft and flexible, about 25 seconds for 4 tortillas.
- Press tortillas into each cup.
- Add one tablespoon of enchilada sauce into the bottom of each tortilla cup.
- Add one tablespoon( or so) of grated cheese.
- Crack an egg on top of sauce and cheese mixture.
- Season with kosher salt and cracked pepper.
- Top each egg with 1-2 teaspoons additional enchilada sauce.
- Bake in the center of the oven for approximately 20 minutes.
- Top with salsa, sour cream, cilantro and green onions.
Serve with fresh fruit. Makes 12 egg cups.
Looking for more Mexican dishes?