This Healthy Broccoli Soup is so easy and fast, there’s no need to resort to canned for a quick meal.
This quick and easy Healthy Broccoli Soup takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish. In addition, I’ve given you options for vegan, vegetarian, Whole30, Paleo, and Broccoli Cheese. If you know my recipes, the Broccoli Cheese version is not going to be a gloppy, cheesy calorie bomb. The soup tastes so good on its own, just a handful of sharp cheddar is all that’s needed to give it a little extra flavor.
While a traditional Cream of Broccoli Soup starts with a Bechamel which includes flour, butter, and milk or cream, I’ve been making all my soups without a dairy base for nearly 30 years. I find that increasing the ratio of veggies to broth in any soup, will make it thick enough without all the extra calories. When I do add a bit of cream, it’s just a swirl on top for garnish.
The same with the Broccoli Cheese version. Grate up some sharp cheddar or swiss in a bowl and let everyone add their own cheese, or not.
Keep several cartons of vegetable and chicken broth on hand for last minutes soups like Leek and Potato or Chicken Tortilla. The smaller the broccoli is cut up, the faster it will cook. If you really want to save time, purchase a bag of pre-chopped broccoli. This method can be used with any vegetable, and sometimes I’ll make what my girls refer to as, “cream of green” or “refrigerator soup”, because I’ll throw in a couple of stalks of celery, a half of a zucchini, some peas from the previous night’s dinner and maybe a carrot or two. It’s a great way to give your family a good dose of veggies too! If you want to be a real purist, use vegetable broth and all olive oil for the Whole30, vegan version. Add a bit of cream for the vegetarian and Paleo version, and chicken broth and cheddar for a soup that’s a bit richer.
Whether you blanch a few broccoli florets for a garnish, add a swirl of cream, or a handful of cheese, this Healthy Broccoli Cheese soup is an easy and quick meal.
Healthy Broccoli Soup
- 1 medium onion chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 head of broccoli chopped, including stems, about 5 cups
- 1 clove of garlic choppped
- 1 quart chicken broth or vegetable broth for vegan/vegetarian
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat olive oil over a medium heat until oil shimmers.
- Add onions and sauté 2 to 3 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic, broccoli and broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes or until broccoli is fork tender.
- Remove from heat and puree soup in batches using an immersion blender or blender. Use caution when pureeing hot soup in a blender. Remember to cover the lid with a dish cloth and hold lid down to prevent burns.
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- If desired, add a swirl of cream, or sharp cheese before serving. (Not Whole30 or vegan)