These Mediterranean Vegetables are not only healthy and delicious, it’s ready in under 30 minutes!
I’m always looking for ways to feed my family healthy meals that can be prepared in under a half an hour. Don’t get me wrong, I love cooking, but since I work full-time, I like to save my “slow-cooking” for the weekends. Since we try and eat gluten free as much as possible, these simple Mediterranean Vegetables are not only quick, but Whole30 compliant, Paleo and gluten free. Serve as an accompaniment to Grilled Chicken.
I make the sauce/marinade first, reserving 1/4 cup for the chicken (or meat). While the chicken is marinating, prepare the veggies. You can grill the chicken, or to save time, use an indoor grill (which is also a panini press) like this one. (This is an affiliate link for which I make a small percentage, at no additional charge to you).
Although this is somewhat reminiscent of ratatouille, there is no lengthy cooking time, and no eggplant, which isn’t a favorite vegetable in our house! It’s full of flavor, with plenty of garlic, onions, tangy Kalamata olives, and a handful of fresh basil. And if you’re not watching carbs, or have a carb loving spouse or children, you can also toss these Mediterranean Vegetables with gluten free or regular pasta too. Just like Asian Stir-fries, this cooks quickly, so have all the vegetables prepared before beginning. You can find pre-sliced onions and mushrooms to make this even faster. Although it may seem like a lot of steps, I add the vegetables one or two at a time depending on how long it takes to cook them. Start with the onions, which require more cooking time and finish with the olives, which just need a minute to heat up.
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup sliced bell peppers
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives sliced (about 12)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil cut chiffonade.
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium high heat until shimmering.
- Add the onions and bell peppers and stir fry 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue sautéing another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and stir another minute or two, just until they burst slightly and give off their juices.
- Toss in olives and fresh basil. Check for seasoning.
- Drizzle with remaining marinade if desired. (see recipe below)
First mix the lemon juice olive oil and garlic together first, and while the chicken is marinating, prep the vegetables. Use the reserved marinade/dressing to drizzle over the chicken or veggies.
- Whisk together all ingredients.
- Pour over chicken. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Cook chicken over hot grill, or broil in oven, until done, about 5 per side.
My daughters will eat this as a between-meal snack, straight out of the fridge! What would you serve these Mediterranean Vegetables with?
Here are some of the tools I used for this post. (These are affiliate links for your convenience at no additional cost to you. Thank you!)
Panini press/indoor grill Garlic press