This Slow-Cooker Chicken with Orange Sauce and Grand Marnier is an adaptation from one of my early posts from 2011, Slow Cooker Cornish Game Hens with Grand Marnier .
While the Cornish Game Hens are generally easily accessible in most grocery stores, I realized that quite a few people are not as comfortable cooking them. So I decided to adapt the recipe for chicken pieces. I’m not sure why I waited so long to do it, as it really is so easy. This past weekend I decided to make this Slow-Cooker Chicken with Orange Sauce for a dinner party.
The Game Hen recipe was perfect for 4, with each person getting half of a bird. But because there were going to be 7 of us, I wanted to have chicken pieces. We favor the juicier thighs, but I did put in a few breast for those who prefer white meat. This recipe will serve 6-8. I made a few adjustments to the marinade, reducing the amount of soy sauce, but other than that, there are very few ingredients that go into this tasty dish!
The juices are finished off with Grand Marnier and butter, making a smooth and delicious sauce. The chicken simmers in the slow-cooker on low for 3 hours, or on high for 5, and is finished off under the broiler for a few minutes, just until the skin browns. Hands on time for this easy dish, is under 20 minutes! I used a combination of bone-in, breasts, thighs and legs, adding up to about 5 pounds.
Elegant enough for company, and easy enough for your family, I think you’ll love Slow-Cooker Chicken with Orange Sauce and Grand Marnier!
- 5 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, breasts, thighs or drumsticks, trimmed of excess fat
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges, about ½ cup
- ¼ cup gluten free soy sauce or tamari
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 Tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 Tablespoons Grand Marnier
- Place chicken pieces in large slow-cooker.
- Mix together zest and orange juice, soy sauce, garlic, honey, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken pieces.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Pre-heat broiler to high. Place rack in upper ⅓ of oven. Remove birds from slow-cooker. Strain juices into a sauce pan. Over medium heat, cook juice until reduced by about half, and slightly thicker, about 10 minutes. While sauce is reducing, Place chicken pieces on a foil lined baking sheet and brown under broiler about 5 minutes, or until skin is golden brown.
- When sauce is reduced, add Grand Marnier and whisk in butter, 1 Tablespoon at a time until sauce is smooth.
- Place chicken on a platter and pour sauce over chicken or serve sauce on the side.