Hearty and comforting, this healthy white chicken chili is made with chicken, corn, white beans, chopped chiles, and spices. It comes together easily on the stovetop or in the crockpot. I know you’ll love this inexpensive weeknight dinner, potluck entree, or game day meal.
What Makes White Chili “White”?
This chili uses white chicken meat, white cannellini beans and chicken broth. Instead of chili powder and tomatoes, this recipe gets its flavor from cumin and oregano. If you want a truly white chicken chili, you can use white corn instead of yellow corn.
How to Make This Healthy White Chicken Chili
The best part about this recipe is how quick and easy it is, especially if you’re starting with leftover white chicken. I usually buy a rotisserie chicken if I don’t have any leftovers.
Once you get past the initial saute of the onions and garlic, just toss in the remaining ingredients and cook until hot and bubbly.
You can make this easy white chicken chili in a crock pot or on the stovetop.
To make stovetop white chicken chili:
- Saute the onions and garlic in a large Dutch oven until soft
- Add pre-cooked diced or shredded chicken
- Stir in the chiles
- Add frozen white or yellow corn
- Bring to a simmer and cook until hot, about 30-35 minutes
Making Spicy White Chicken Chili
Unlike most chilis, this recipe is not particularly spicy. If you want your healthy crockpot white chicken chili to be spicier, feel free to add more chiles or even some chili powder for additional heat.
While the original recipe calls for canned chilies, if you have Hatch chilies on hand, definitely use them! I make this healthy white bean chicken chili with Hatch chilies whenever I have them and I use canned chilies when I don’t.
If you love Hatch chiles or would like more recipes using them, I have a delicious and low-carb Hatch Chile Rellenos Casserole, Hatch Chile Egg Bites and a Hatch Chile and Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
What to Serve With White Chicken Chili
Healthy white chicken chili is the perfect party, potluck or game day food. There are several delicious accompaniments you can serve with this hearty, flavorful meal. You can even create a chili bar by setting out all the options and letting your guests mix and match to suit their taste preferences and dietary needs.
Here are some popular options:
- Homemade Cornbread
- Tortilla Chips
- Avocado or Guacamole
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Shredded Cheese
- Lime Wedges
- Sliced Jalapeños
- Sliced Radishes
- Grilled or Roasted Vegetables.
Or serve a big green salad as a refreshing side dish to balance the richness of the chili.
This dairy free white chicken chili can be made ahead of time for any occasion. Just warm it up on the stovetop or in a slow-cooker. It’s even better the second day!
Healthy White Chicken Chili
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups cooked chicken white or dark meat chicken, about 2 large chicken breasts, shredded or diced
- 4-5 cups chicken broth Less broth for a thicker chili, more for a thinner, ore soup-like consistency.
- 8 ounces green chilies chopped (canned or frozen Hatch)
- 2-3 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2-3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 cans white beans Great Northern or cannellini, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- In a large pot, heat oil over a medium heat until shimmering. Add chopped onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add chicken broth, chicken, chiles, beans, corn and spices and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer on low until hot, about 30-35 minutes.
- Add lime or lemon juice and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper if necessary.
Crock Pot Instructions
- Follow first step above. Add onions and garlic to crock-pot add remaining ingredients and set slow-cooker or crock-pot to low.
- Heat on low until hot, about 6 hours.