This Whole30 Mediterranean Soup with Sausage is loaded with Italian style sausage and vegetables, and finished with a swirl of Pistou.
January 1st I started another round of Whole30. The only difference is that this time, my whole family is on board. My husband, and two daughters decided it would be easier if we were all in it together. Whole30 eliminates so many of inflammatory foods, like dairy, gluten, grains, alcohol and sugar, and gives your body a chance to “re-set”. (This post contains affiliate links for your convenience at no additional cost to you.)
If you’ve never read about Whole30, you can here and here. What you do need to know about this Whole30 Mediterranean Soup With Sausage, is that it’s easy and customizable. You can add more (or fewer) vegetables. Not following Whole30? Then feel free to top it with some fresh Parmesan cheese or add some beans to stretch this already budget friendly soup even further.
When I was searching for Italian sausage for this soup, all I could find was sausage that was filled with nitrates, sugar and fillers. What I love about Italian sausage is the flavor of fennel seed, and that pop of heat from red pepper flakes. This recipe uses ground pork with lots of spices to mimic Italian Sausage. Even better, it cooks relatively quickly. Depending on how small you dice your veggies, this Mediterranean Soup can be on your table in less than an hour. I add a tablespoon of Pistou just before serving for a delicious burst of garlic and basil!
What is Pistou?
You’ve most likely heard of Pesto, that fabulously fresh tasting concoction of basil, garlic, pine nuts and parmesan? Well Pistou is its French cousin. Almost identical in flavor profiles, Pistou omits the cheese and pine nuts, making it the perfect Whole30 compliant sauce, dip, topping or whatever! Swirl a tablespoon or two into each bowl just before serving for a pop of flavor!
Whole30 Mediterranean Soup With Sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced or diced
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 28 ounce can Italian style tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 3 ounces baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 Tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- In a large pan, heat oil over a medium high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery, garlic and mushrooms, and saute 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add pork, oregano, fennel, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and continue stirring until meat begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and broth and continue stirring until soup comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are nearly tender, about 15 minutes. Add sliced zucchini and cook another 5 minutes or until zucchini is tender. (Add more broth if desired)
- Turn off heat and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and more red pepper flakes if desired. Stir in baby spinach to wilt.
- Serve in bowls with pistou. Stir 1-2 Tablespoons pistou into each bowl just before serving.
Saute ground pork and vegetables in a large pot. Add spices, tomatoes and broth. Simmer over a medium heat until sausage is cooked and vegetables are tender. Finish with a handful of baby spinach and a swirl of pistou.
- 4 ounces Basil leaves, remove stems
- 1/2 cup Olive oil extra virgin
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a food processor add basil, and with processor running, add garlic and olive oil in a slow stream, pulsing a few times. Scrape down sides and pulse again. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Store in refrigerator.
What other vegetables would you add to this Whole30 Mediterranean Soup With Sausage for your family?
Some of the items used in this post are available here at no additional cost to you.