Greek nachos are great as a snack, appetizer, or even a main dish. Crispy pita chips are covered with seasoned lamb, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, Greek spices and two types of cheese.
My husband requested nachos this weekend, but instead of the traditional Mexican version, I thought it would be fun to try something different.Then I remembered our favorite Greek restaurant and their crazy-delicious Garlic Feta Potatoes, so I thought Greek Nachos with pita chips in place of the tortilla strips would be awesome. For a gluten free version, you can easily use tortilla strips of course. The components are basically the same as traditional nachos. Some sort of vehicle to maneuver the ingredients, (chips…pita) and cheese. I opted for both feta and mozzarella since feta doesn’t melt very well. The mozzarella is mild, doesn’t compete with the feta and has that great “pull” quality. After adding all the toppings, I finished it off with tzatziki and garlic oil, just like our favorite garlic Greek fries. He happily ate these while watching football…no dinner needed! Here’s a recipe for homemade Tzatziki, if you’re so inclined, otherwise you can easily pick it up in the deli section of your local market.
Enjoy the Greek nachos! Here’s the recipe:
- 1 12 ounce bag pita chips or tortilla strips
- 1 pound lean ground beef lamb or turkey
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 Tablespoon minced garlic divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 8 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup tzatziki sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Arrange pita chips on an oven-safe baking dish or baking sheet
- In a skillet over medium heat, add ground meat, oregano, salt, 1 teaspoon garlic and pepper, stirring to break up large pieces until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain meat well.
- Top pita chips with ground meat, mozzarella cheese and feta and bake in center of oven until cheeses are melted, but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with diced cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and olives.
- In the same pan you cooked the beef, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil and remaining 1 Tablespoon minced garlic, stirring just to heat the garlic, do not brown. Remove pan from heat, drizzle garlic olive oil over nachos. Drizzle tzatziki sauce, and sprinkle with chopped oregano.
Looking for more Greek recipes?