Turkey enchiladas are a family friendly dinner recipe that’s easy to make, and packed with Mexican flavors. Use leftover turkey, beef or pork.
These easy, cheesy turkey enchiladas work equally well with chicken, beef or pork. Yay for leftover Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter turkey though! By day three, no one wants to eat anything close to straight turkey. Bathed in enchilada sauce and lots of cheese, cheesy turkey enchiladas make the perfect turkey leftovers dish, without any trace of “leftover-ness”.
I used canned enchilada sauce with a medium spice, and a combination of jack and cheddar cheeses, but you can certainly use a milder or hotter sauce depending on your family’s preference. The filling is simple, with just shredded turkey, cheese and a cup of onions.
This easy dinner recipe makes about 18 enchiladas, leaving enough left over to freeze for a later meal. Warm the sauce to soften and soak the tortillas so they won’t crack when they are rolled.
Fill the turkey enchiladas with a scant 1/3 cup of filling. Roll and layer in a baking dish. Nestle them next to one another. Top with remaining sauce and cheese. Bake. Top with sour cream, green onions and olives if desired.
I hope you enjoy this cheesy turkey enchiladas recipe!
- 2 cups cooked shredded turkey
- 3 cups shredded cheese cheddar, jack or a combination, divided (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 28 ounce can red enchilada sauce mild, medium or spicy
- 18 corn tortillas
- Sliced green onions olives and sour cream for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat enchilada sauce to a bare simmer. Pour into a shallow pan or dish.
- Mix turkey, 2 cups cheese, onions, salt and pepper together in a large bowl.
- Pour 1/4 cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of each baking dish, just to coat bottom.
- Soak tortillas, 2 or 3 at a time in enchilada sauce to soften.
- Place a scant 1/3 cup of filling in the middle of each tortilla, roll and place, seam side down in baking dish, nestling enchiladas next to each other.
- Top with remaining sauce and 2 cups cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Serve with sliced green onions, olives and sour cream.
Be sure to pin or bookmark this recipe so you have it handy after the holidays!