Tom Ka Gai, or Thai Coconut Soup, is one of my family’s favorite soup recipes! This flavorful soup is a Paleo and Whole30 compliant recipe.
Tom Ka Gai soup is light, yet filling, but also one of the healthiest soup recipes. Just a few simple pantry staples are needed for this exotic sounding, yet fast and easy soup! Right after the New Year, I’m filled with New Year’s resolutions, some I keep, some fall by the wayside. But one thing’s for sure, the whole family is ready to eat simple, clean and easy foods for a couple of weeks. Clear broth-based soups and lots of veggie stir-frys are always welcome. I definitely feel the pinch of my clothes after the indulgent holidays and welcome the change.
Tom Ka Gai soup is one of our family favorites! The simple coconut milk and ginger broth has just a bit of chicken meat and a handful of fresh herbs. The best version I’ve ever eaten is at a restaurant in Palm Desert. I’ve been trying to duplicate it for years. This recipe, from allrecipes, is delicious! You could easily substitute shrimp or tofu for the chicken. The best part is that it’s ready in just under a half and hour!
Update 6/23/2106: I’ve since made some further adaptions to this Tom Ka Gai recipe, making it either Whole30 compliant or Paleo. See recipe for notes.
- ¾ pound boneless, skinless chicken, I used all breast meat.
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 (14 ounce cans coconut milk)
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 4 Tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar or coconut sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 or 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Cut chicken into thin strips and in a large saucepan, sauté in coconut oil for 2-3 minutes, or until chicken turns white.
- Add coconut milk and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add ginger, fish sauce, lime juice, cayenne, sugar, and turmeric.
- Simmer until the chicken is done, about 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning adding more cayenne if necessary.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and sliced green onions.
More flavorful Thai recipes: