This recipe Gluten Free Almond Pound Cake is an adaption of one I’ve been using for years in my English Christmas Trifle.
The original recipe almond pound cake recipe from Emeril Lagasse, was not gluten free and called for regular flour. It also makes twice as much batter…enough for a bundt cake.
Since I only ever use a half recipe, this is the perfect size for afternoon tea, or as a component of the trifle.
Gluten Free Flour
While not all recipes take to gluten free flour easily, I find that this blend from The Art of Gluten Free Baking, makes baked goods virtually indistinguishable from the real deal. Pamela’s also makes a pretty good cup for cup replacement flour. I’ve included weight measurements as well as some flour blends are denser. (As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
I’m a huge fan of almond anything. This pound cake recipe uses a half of a tube of almond paste, which makes it really moist and almond-y. The key to getting the batter relatively smooth, (it will be a bit grainy because of the almond paste), is too make sure that your almond paste is fresh. You will need to break it up into small pieces. Make sure you purchase almond paste and not marzipan. Marzipan is used for eating, molding and Marzipan Candy.
This cake also freezes well, so you could make it a week or two in advance during the holidays to have on hand for entertaining. We enjoy a thin slice on it’s own. But it’s also lovely with a bit of fresh whipped cream and berries, or as a base for strawberry shortcake. If I’m using this almond cake for trifle or short cake, I’m omit the glaze. If I’ll be serving it on its own, I’ll add a simple glaze and some toasted almonds to the top when the cake is cool. You can also serve it with this Blueberry Compote.
Gluten Free Almond Pound Cake
- 1 3/4 cup gluten free flour blend (or regular flour) 6 1/2 ounces
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 stick unsalted butter room temperature (6 ounces)
- 3 1/2 ounces almond paste crumbled
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar 9 ounces
- 3 large eggs room temperature, beaten lightly
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup whole milk divided
- powdered sugar add 1 Tablespoon at a time until pourable consistency is achieved.
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds lightly toasted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease or use parchment to line a 9 x 5 inch loaf tin.
- Sift together dry ingredients, (flour, baking powder and salt)
- In a mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream together butter and almond paste. Add sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each egg. Add 1/2 cup milk, vanilla and almond extracts. (Reserve 1/4 cup milk for icing)
- Slowly add flour mixture, until just mixed. Do not over mix.
- Pour into loaf pan. Tap gently to remove air and smooth surface.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool. Invert pan to remove cake. Drizzle with icing, if desired, when cool.
- To make the icing: add powdered sugar, 1 Tablespoon at a time, to 1/4 cup milk, until thin enough to drizzle over cake in ribbons. Top with toasted sliced almonds.