Pear-walnut Gorgonzola pizza is a simple thin crust pizza, topped with fresh pears, chopped walnuts, Gorgonzola cheese, and fresh thyme. It will elevate your pizza night!
Any type of blue cheese is very popular in this house. I always keep a tub of blue cheese or Gorgonzola crumbles in the fridge to add to a salad, which seems to elevate it much more than say, cheddar.
This delicious pear-walnut Gorgonzola pizza makes a nice mid-week dinner, paired with a simple green salad.
But as I was making it, I also thought it would make a perfect quick appetizer, especially with the holidays coming up. If you keep this Olive Oil dough in your fridge, a quick pizza meal is just 30 minutes away, from start to finish. If you don’t happen to have pizza dough, you can certainly use the fresh pizza dough that most grocery stores, (or Trader Joe’s) sell.
There’s nothing to chop or cook here, it’s more of an assembly dish. Roll out the dough in a rectangle, partially bake, top with cheese and chopped walnuts and then finish baking. When the pizza comes out of the oven, sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves and thinly sliced pears. To make ahead for company, have the dough pre-cooked. Add the cheese and walnuts. You can just stop there, as well. It was just delicious with just the Gorgonzola, walnuts and thyme. When your guests arrive, finish baking and garnish.
Here’s the recipe for the pear-walnut Gorgonzola pizza. I hope that you enjoy it!
Pear-Walnut Gorgonzola Pizza
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- On a well-floured work surface, roll out half of the pizza dough into a rectangle, about 1/4" thick, (or thinner if you like).
- Sprinkle a cookie sheet or pizza stone with cornmeal and slide the dough onto the baking surface. Bake dough for 3-5 minutes, or until barely golden. It might puff up, but will relax once you remove it from the oven. Gently pierce the pizza with a knife to help deflate it, if necessary.
- Brush the surface with olive oil, sprinkle with half the cheese and walnuts. Return to oven and bake an additional 8-10 minutes or until crust is browned and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with 1/2 the fresh thyme and thinly sliced pears.
- Serve immediately. Repeat process with remaining dough. Makes 2 pizzas, approximately 12" x 9".