I’m super excited about this latest recipe for gluten-free Fresh Berry Cake.
No one in our family has a huge sweet tooth, so I make very few desserts. When I do, I look for low-sugar, fruit based desserts, like this Eton Mess, Mango Sherbet, or Poires Belle Helene, all of which are not only low in sugar, but naturally gluten and grain-free. This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience.
I stumbled across this recipe fresh berry cake on the King Arthur Flour website and immediately thought it would adapt perfectly with almond flour. With just 3/4 a cup of sugar for the entire cake, presto!…Grain and Gluten-Free Fresh Berry Cake!
This Gluten-free Fresh Berry Cake is a party hit! I brought my adapted version to a BBQ last weekend, and it was gone in a flash.
A couple of the men who were there were shocked that it was “gluten free”, one of whom had recently given up all gluten in an attempt to help with his arthritis. Because almond flour is naturally moister than wheat flour, this cake/torte is not light and fluffy, but rather similar to a Clafoutis. Cool this cake thoroughly before attempting to slice it, or serve it warm, but it will be a bit softer.
A thick batter is poured into a pan (I like to use my springform for easy release),
topped with fresh berries…
…sliced almonds and a little more sugar.
Serve with lightly sweetened fresh whipped cream and extra berries if desired.
Grain-free Fresh Berry Cake
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (swerve may be substituted for the sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup (3 1/4 ounces almond flour) sift before measuring to remove any clumps.
- 2 cups fresh berries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8" or 9" square or springform pan.
- Beat together softened butter, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly combined. Add vanilla and almond extracts.
- Add flour and mix just until combined.
- Spread batter in the pan.
- Top with berries and sliced almonds. Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. (The center will be somewhat moist).
- Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream and fresh berries.
Although I use fresh fruit, this is also a great way to use up fruit that’s a little past its prime. I use whole raspberries and blueberries, and slice the strawberries. Blackberries would also work well. Not an almond fan? Substitute the almonds for chopped walnuts or pecans and omit the almond extract.
I hope you enjoy this Grain-Free Fresh Berry Cake as much as we do!
Some of the items in this post are available at my Amazon Affiliate Store.
Springform Pan Almond Flour Almond Extract