Mushroom stroganoff is a vegetarian dinner, but despite the lack of meat, it’s full of flavor. A blend of white and brown mushrooms give this easy recipe an earthy, deep flavor.
Mushrooms are a great substitute for meat and this mushroom stroganoff recipe is so hearty you won’t miss the meat! (This post was originally published on September 7th, 2011. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn commission on qualifying purchases.) This recipe is adapted from Diet for a Small Planet (1971).
What’s in mushroom stroganoff?
- Mushrooms, slice or quarter, depending on their size. Small mushrooms can be halved, larger ones can be quartered or sliced.
- Fresh garlic
- White wine to deglaze the pan
- Vegetable broth. (If you’re not a strict vegetarian, you may substitute chicken broth)
- Smoked paprika, black and white pepper add more depth of flavor
- Worcestershire sauce for umami
- Tomato paste for color and flavor
- Fresh thyme
- Sour cream for a creamy, tangy sauce
- Fresh parsley for garnish and flavor
What kind of mushrooms are used in mushroom stroganoff?
- Use white or brown mushrooms, or a combination of the two. For an elegant version of mushroom stroganoff substitute oyster or portabella mushrooms. If they are larger, slice them into bite sized pieces. If the mushrooms are smaller, halve or quarter them.
What can I substitute for sour cream?
- Creme fraiche or yogurt can be used in place of the sour cream.
Can I make a vegan version of stroganoff?
- For a vegan version of mushroom stroganoff, substitute your favorite vegan sour cream in place of regular sour cream.
How to make mushroom stroganoff
- Heat butter and olive oil in saucepan or Dutch oven over a medium heat. Add onions and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, paprika, fresh thyme and continue cooking until mushrooms are tender and browned.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine, and cook a minute or two.
- Add vegetable broth, tomato paste and worcestershire sauce, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue cooking until reduced 1/3.
- Remove some of the cooking liquid and whisk into the sour cream. This prevents the sour cream from breaking once it’s added back to the stroganoff.
- Stir to blend and check seasoning with kosher salt, black and white pepper.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and additional sour cream if desired.
- Serve on top of buttery egg noodles.
What can you serve with mushroom stroganoff?
Love mushrooms? Mushroom spread is a delicious and quick vegetarian appetizer or dip.
Creamy Mushroom Soup is much better than the can and just as easy.
Vegetarian Mushroom Stroganoff
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3/4 pound mushrooms sliced or quartered if they are large.
- 1 sprig fresh thyme chopped (about 1 Tablespoon)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2/3 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Kosher salt to taste
- black pepper and white pepper to taste
- 8 oz. egg noodles
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add chopped onions and and cook over medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, thyme, paprika, and sliced mushrooms, and continue cooking until tender and browned, about 5 minutes
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine stirring a minute or two.
- Add broth, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and continue cooking until reduced by about 1/3, about 7-10 minutes.
- Whisk the sour cream in a small bowl and stir in a small into mushroom mixture. Then stir sour cream mixture into mushroom mixture. (see notes)
- Season with salt and both black and white pepper to taste and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- Serve on top of cooked buttered egg noodles.
- Use any type of mushroom you choose, white or brown mushrooms (also known as cremini mushrooms).
- Mix a small amount of the warm mushroom mixture into the sour cream before mixing the sour cream back into the stroganoff.
- Chicken broth can be substituted for vegetable broth if desired.