Peanut butter cup spider cookies are a fun, homemade treat for Halloween. Adorable peanut butter cup spiders sit on top of soft, chewy peanut butter cookies.
What’s not to love about peanut butter and chocolate? Now that my kids are grown, I don’t make too many “cute” treats any more, but when a video of these Peanut Butter Cup Spider Cookies popped into my feed yesterday, I knew I had to make them.
We’re going to a Halloween party this weekend, so I want to bring something to share. These were so fast and easy to make! I picked up the miniature peanut butter cups on the way home from work, and made the dough in under 10 minutes. (This post contains affiliate links of which I receive a small percentage. Thank you!)
The recipe is just a classic peanut butter blossom cookie recipe, but instead of kisses, gently press a mini peanut butter cup into the warm cookie. Click here for the candy eyes!
Candy eyes, available at most craft stores, or even the grocery store this time of year, are set into the still-warm peanut butter cups. A little melted chocolate makes the spider’s legs, and you’re done!
We made 3 dozen peanut butter cup spider cookies, all in just under one hour.
Unwrap the peanut butter cups from the foil while the cookies are baking. Or enlist a helper, provided you don’t lose half of the peanut butter cups in the process!
They are just the right amount of festive for Halloween, but of course they make a delicious cookie without the eyes and legs too!
Here’s the recipe for the fun peanut butter cup spider cookies.
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar divided (1/2 cup will be used to roll the dough in)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 36 miniature peanut butter cups
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar until blended, light and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add egg, 1/2 cup peanut butter, milk and vanilla, and beat until well blended, 1-2 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix flour, salt and baking soda. Slowly add flour mixture to butter and sugar, just until dough comes together. Don't over mix.
- Roll dough into walnut-sized balls, about 1 Tablespoon. Roll each ball in the reserved 1/2 cup sugar, then place on cookie sheets lined with parchment or silpat. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 12 minutes, until light golden brown, but still soft. Remove from oven and place a peanut butter cup in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. While chocolate is still warm, attach candy eyes.
- In a small bowl, melt chocolate morsels in the microwave for 30 seconds, until chocolate is melted. Pour chocolate into a plastic sandwich bag. Snip off a tiny corner and drip 8 legs on each spider cookie. Chill until chocolate sets.