Tequila-Glazed Grilled Chicken Thighs are juicy, moist, and full of flavor. The tequila glaze on the chicken thighs will make your taste buds sing!
How can you go wrong with a recipe called Tequila Glazed?
Even if the recipe turns out to be a bust, just getting there is half the fun! How could I NOT make a batch of Margaritas while I was grilling up those thighs?
This recipe is from Cooking Light. I love all their recipes…plus, I know they’ll be basically pretty healthy. The recipe suggested removing the skin before grilling, but I like to leave it on to keep it a bit moister. Remove it before eating, if you are so inclined. The glaze has a lovely bit of sweet, tart and a little kick.
You can use chicken breasts, but I’m not crazy about grilled breasts because they dry out so easily. Chicken thighs are just moister and juicier.
The secret to perfectly done grilled chicken thighs is, slow and low.
Our new BBQ cooks much hotter and more evenly than our old one. There’s a bit of learning curve with all those BTU’s! I’ve learned that I can get nice results by turning the BBQ down to its lowest setting…you’ll have to be the judge of your own grill. Serve this chicken with Cilantro Rice, warm tortillas, beans and guacamole and you’ve got a summer fiesta!
Let me know what you think of these tequila-glazed grilled chicken thighs!
Tequila Glazed Chicken Thighs
- 3 lbs. bone-in thighs and legs you can use breasts, but we prefer the juicier legs
- Dry Rub
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- Tequila Glaze
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper I omitted this for the kids
- Rub spices all over the chicken. Let it sit while you make the glaze.
- Bring the pineapple juice, tequila and honey to a boil in a small saucepan; cook until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 10 minutes).
- Combine cornstarch and teaspoons water in a small bowl and stir well. Add to reduced juice mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in lime rind, lime juice and red pepper if you are using it.
- Grill chicken over low heat, basting occasionally with glaze.
- Cover and cook until done. It all depends on the power of your grill, so cook accordingly.
Looking for more chicken dishes?