Black pepper shrimp is
I had a craving for black pepper shrimp the other day. Shrimp is a great weekday meal since it takes just minutes to cook. When I searched for “black pepper shrimp”, I was thinking perhaps something more Asian.
I was surprised to find this Paula Deen recipe, and even more surprised to see it had over 90 five-star reviews. Add to that, just 4 ingredients and 20 minutes from start to finish, and I had to try it! It’s a must to use un-peeled shrimp, as the pepper will be over-powering on peeled shrimp. I added more butter than Paula specified (that was surprising!), slightly less pepper, and served it over buttery rice pilaf. This was a winner in my house!
I hope you enjoy this black pepper shrimp recipe.
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh shrimp unpeeled
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash and drain shrimp and place in a shallow baking pan.
- In a saucepan, over a medium heat, melt butter.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until garlic is soft and fragrant, do not brown. Pour butter mixture over shrimp, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with half of the black pepper and kosher salt
- Bake until pink, approximately 5 minutes. Turn shrimp and cover with remaining black pepper.
- Bake an additional 3-5 minutes longer, or until pink and cooked through.