Black pepper shrimp is one of the easiest and fastest dishes to make! With just three ingredients (if you don’t count salt and pepper), it’s also low carb, keto friendly and gluten free!
Shrimp is a great weekday meal since it takes just minutes to cook. When I searched for “black pepper shrimp”, I was thinking perhaps something more Asian.
I was surprised to find this Paula Deen recipe, and even more surprised to see it had over 90 five-star reviews. It turns out that this black pepper shrimp is more of a Southern dish than Asian.
Add to that, just 4 ingredients and 20 minutes from start to finish, and I had to try it! It’s a must to use un-peeled shrimp, as the pepper will be over-powering on peeled shrimp. I added more butter than Paula specified (that was surprising!), slightly less pepper, and served it over buttery rice pilaf. This was a winner in my house! For a low carb alternative, serve it with cauliflower tots or cauliflower rice.
For more information on shrimp and sizing, here’s my recipe for Grilled Rosemary Shrimp which is also low carb and keto friendly. For this recipe, I recommend using fairly large shrimp. Smaller shrimp are more difficult to peel.
While this recipe is baked, you could certainly stir-fry it as well.
I hope you enjoy this tasty shrimp recipe.
Black Pepper Shrimp
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash and drain shrimp and place in a shallow baking pan.
- In a saucepan, over a medium heat, melt butter.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until garlic is soft and fragrant, do not brown. Pour butter mixture over shrimp, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with half of the black pepper and kosher salt
- Bake until pink, approximately 5 minutes. Turn shrimp and cover with remaining black pepper.
- Bake an additional 3-5 minutes longer, or until pink and cooked through.