This Greek Pasta with Garlic and Yogurt is a quick, easy, and frugal dish. It’s simple to make, but loaded with flavor!
A Traditional Greek Dish
I first tasted this Greek Pasta with Garlic and Yogurt at our local Greek festival when I was a newlywed, over 28 years ago. There was a cooking demonstration of Greek dishes, many I had heard of, some I had not, including this incredibly easy and delicious pasta dish. The instructor threw some butter, yogurt and garlic into a saucepan with the cooked pasta, swirled it around, and it was done in just a few minutes. (This dish was first published on June 8th, 2015, had been updated and contains affiliate links.)
The tangy yogurt, combined with the butter and garlic, make this a simple, yet delicious dish. The best part, is that’s ready in under 20 minutes. I’ve adjusted it slightly by adding just a touch of lemon juice and zest for a little more tang. I prefer to use good quality full-fat Greek yogurt, as it has creamy richness that I haven’t found in regular yogurt.
Because this dish is budget friendly, it’s great for an end-of-month meal, or for a there’s-nothing-in-the-fridge meal. Since it’s just pasta, yogurt, butter and garlic, a bit of freshly grated Parmesan cheese is always a nice addition.
This works well with all types of pasta
I’ve featured it with regular pasta, but gluten free or low-carb noodles work equally well.
While this is great for a simple vegetarian meal, you can also serve it as a side-dish with Greek Grilled Chicken
or a classic Greek Salad.
I hope you enjoy this easy pasta dish as much as we do!
Some of the items used in this dish are available at my Amazon Affiliate Store.
Greek Pasta With Yogurt, Garlic And Butter
- 1 pound pasta any type
- 4 ounces unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups good quality Greek yogurt
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chives or parsley for garnish (optional)
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to directions on package, depending on type of pasta. Make sure to add salt to the water for best results.
- Drain pasta, but do not rinse! Reserve pasta cooking water.
- In the same pot you cooked the pasta, melt butter over medium heat until melted.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant, but not brown.
- Turn heat to low and add yogurt, stirring to blend. Toss in pasta, stirring to coat pasta. Add reserved pasta water to thin sauce if necessary, 1 Tablespoon at a time.
- Add zest and juice of half a lemon and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with grated cheese and fresh parsley or chives.